Organized by two Adelphi Department of Mathematics and Computer Science assistant professors, the inaugural session of the Adelphi Summer Institute in Mathematical Epidemiology gave Long Island high school students an opportunity to conduct original research projects in mathematical epidemiology that focused on COVID-19 and cancer.
Adelphi Summer Institute in Mathematical Epidemiology
Work directly with Adelphi professors and students using computer science and statistics to research real-world data on cancer, ALS, Parkinson鈥檚, heart disease and COVID-19.
As an Adelphi Summer Institute in Mathematical Epidemiology (ASIME) participant, you will carry out authentic research problems from start to finish, developing technical skills in the process that you will transfer to any career you may choose to pursue. Even more important, you witness in your own work how mathematics can help us tackle some of the most pressing public health problems of the present day.
- In-person program (Garden City campus)
- Monday-Thursday, July 8 – August 8
- Arrive by 10:00 a.m. and depart at 3:00 p.m.
- Applications received by June 1, 2024, will receive full consideration
- The all-inclusive tuition rate of $3,000 covers the cost of course materials and lunch at our on-campus dining facilities.
Applicants must have completed 9th grade by July 2024 to enroll in ASIME.
The Adelphi Summer Institute in Mathematical Epidemiology (ASIME) is an immersive five-week research experience for academically talented high school students. The program features original research projects in cancer epidemiology and infectious disease models applied to New York State COVID-19 data.
You will work in groups with Adelphi applied mathematics faculty and full-time research assistants from Adelphi鈥檚 mathematics and computer science programs. The program runs as a day camp Monday through Thursday and includes daily meals on campus and weekly visits from leading experts on data science and epidemiology.
ASIME offers two exciting areas of inquiry:
- Projects in听the epidemiology of ALS, Parkinson鈥檚, heart disease and cancer introduce students to concepts in probability theory, Markov chains and generalized linear regression.
- Projects in infectious disease modeling introduce students to differential equations, compartmental models and parameter fitting.
All projects involve data analysis and visualization. You will learn these concepts on the fly as your projects demand, so the program is suitable for a wide range of backgrounds in mathematics, computer science, statistics and life sciences.
- Perform original research projects in mathematical epidemiology.
- Meet visiting speakers from the University of Pennsylvania, Duke University, University of Florida, Virginia Tech and other top universities.
- Adelphi Advantage Award of $1,000 per year for Pre-College Program students who enroll as full-time, incoming first-year students at Adelphi
- Data Visualization and Analysis in Python
- Compartmental Models and Euler鈥檚 Method
- Regression and Parameter Fitting
- Public Speaking and Technical Communication
For inquiries or to submit your application,听please contact听Dr. Anil Venkatesh at听avenkatesh@adelphi.edu.